Home » Property » Frequently Asked Questions

When will I receive a property tax bill and when is payment due?

Property tax bills are mailed by August 15 and payment is due on or before October 15. If you do not receive a bill by August 30, you can obtain a copy from this website.

Where can I pay my property taxes?

Our mailing address is P O Box 100127, Marietta, GA 30061 or for your convenience you may pay your property tax bills in person at 736 Whitlock Avenue, Suite 100, Marietta, GA (just a mile outside of the Square) or at the following Government Service Centers:

East Cobb Government Service Center @ 4400 Lower Roswell Road, Marietta, GA

South Cobb Government Service Center @ 4700 Austell Road, Austell, GA

Convenient DROP BOXES are located outside the front entrance at 736 Whitlock Avenue and inside the Government Service Centers.

You may pay taxes by e-check or credit card on-line or toll-free at 1-866-PAYCOBB (729-2622). Fees apply to help offset processing costs. Cobb County does not retain any portion of fees.

Do you accept or acknowledge postmarks as timely filing for exemptions or payment of property taxes?

Yes, we honor mail with a U.S. Government Post Office postmark dated by midnight of the payment/filing deadline. Metered postage dates are not accepted as proof of timely filing.

Is there a penalty charge for late payment?

Taxes not paid by the due date will accrue a 5% penalty plus interest at the rate of 1% per month until paid in full.

Can the interest and penalty be waived since I did not receive a bill?

No. Failure to receive a tax bill does not relieve you of the responsibility to make payment by the due date. If you did not receive a tax bill, a copy of your bill is available on this website or you may contact our office through this website, by phone or visit one of our locations to obtain a copy of your bill.

Does the Tax Commissioner's Office accept partial payments?

Yes. We will accept partial payments on your bill until paid in full. However, penalty and interest will accrue on the unpaid balance after October 15. You must call our office at 770-528-8600 to make payment arrangements.

If I did not own my home for the full year, can my taxes be prorated?

No, the Tax Commissioner does not prorate taxes or become involved in the proration of taxes between a seller and buyer. Taxes are calculated for the entire year. Liability for taxes is established during the closing of the sale of property; generally speaking, the purchaser assumes this liability. Your closing paperwork will reflect who is responsible for the payment of taxes. Since taxes legally attach to the property, the current owner should ensure that taxes are paid.

My mortgage company pays my tax bill; can you mail my bill to the mortgage company?

If taxes are paid from an escrow account and the mortgage company notifies this office, the tax bill is sent to both the homeowner and the mortgage company; however it remains the responsibility of the property owner to ensure the bill is paid. If your mortgage company has recently changed and not reflected accurately on the bottom of your bill, you should send a copy of the bill to the new company.

Can I pay my taxes without a tax bill coupon?

Yes. Note the parcel ID number on your check or money order or attach a copy of your bill available on this website.

I closed my business or no longer own personal property (boat, airplane, business inventory, equipment, furniture and fixtures). Do I have to pay taxes?

If the business closed or the property was sold after January 1 in the current tax year, the tax is due. Taxes are assessed as of January 1 for the entire tax year. If the property closed or sold after January 1, you must notify the Board of Assessors at 770-528-3100.

When does a Fi. Fa. (Tax Lien) go on the property?

After the last day of payment of taxes the Tax Commissioner will notify the taxpayer in writing that the taxes are outstanding and unless paid within thirty (30) days, an execution (Fi. Fa.) will be issued in accordance with O.C.G.A. 48-3-3.

When, where and what time is the tax sale?

Tax levy sales are held on the first Tuesday of each month. If Tuesday falls on a holiday, the sale will take place on the first Wednesday. The sale is held on the Courthouse steps, at the southeast corner of Roswell and Waddell Street. Legal hours of tax sales are between 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Further information on tax sales is available on this website.

When and where do you advertise for the sale?

Advertisements can be found each Friday in the Marietta Daily Journal.

How do I qualify for Homestead Exemption?

Applications, instructions and information are available on this website. The applicant's name must appear on the deed to the property and they must own, occupy and claim the property as their legal residence on January 1 to be eligible for any exemption for that tax year. Exemptions are not automatic and each exemption must be applied for separately. Legal evidence of residency and U. S. citizenship such as a copy of a Georgia Driver's License or Georgia ID Card, etc. must be provided. A non-citizen must provide legal authorization from the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service such as an Alien or I94 number.

A current registration or receipt of motor vehicle taxes paid in Cobb County must be provided for all personal vehicles owned at the time of application. The applicant may claim exemptions on only one property. A husband and wife constitute one "applicant" and may claim only one exemption. Exemptions are automatically renewed and the applicant need not reapply if the home has been refinanced. The Tax Commissioner's office must be notified in the event the applicant no longer qualifies.

Exemption applications are accepted year round, however the original application (faxed or emailed copy not accepted) must be received or U. S. postmarked (a metered postmark is not accepted as proof of timely mailing) by April 1, 2013 to affect the 2013 taxes. Applications not received by the deadline will be processed for the following tax year.

I recently got married or divorced, how do I change my name?

The applicant must reapply for any exemptions if a name change or change of ownership occurs due to marriage, death or divorce; a copy of a recorded deed, marriage certificate or divorce decree must be provided.

How can I change my mailing address on my tax bill?

Click here to complete change of address form.

How can I appeal my property?

If you feel your property value is not reflective of the fair market value, you may file an appeal with the Tax Assessors Office. Please refer to their web site at for more information.

If I appeal my property value, do I have to pay my property taxes while under appeal?

You must pay at least the appeal amount by the due date to avoid a 5% penalty. You cannot defer payment. The Tax Assessors' office is not authorized to extend the payment deadline. 1% interest per month (up to $150) accrues on the remaining balance. You may choose to pay the full amount of the bill by the due date to avoid paying interest.

What is the current millage rate?

Click here for a complete list of Cobb County millage rates. 


For more information, please contact us.